Leak Testing A Body Spray Supply Tree

Users who are viewing this thread

quinocampa

Mechanical engineer in marketing. Uhuh.
Reaction score
I am soon to finish plumbing a shower valve set, including thermostatic valve and diverter, 3 body sprays, a rain shower head, and a hand shower sprayer. I used PEX and quick disconnect fittings everywhere but the body spray tree, due to its complexity. I have three sprays in a typical vertical alignment, and built a pressure balancing ladder supply, with each spray tee'ing off each rung. The sprays will thread onto male posts, but the joint will be behind the finished wall (when finished). Therefore, I can't make stubs with caps and finish them after the wall is done. So, how can I do a leak test? My concern is isolating the body spray function. I can preset the diverter to that function, then turn on the water supply. If there is a leak though, the whole spray supply will be wet and much harder to resolder.

In general, how do you leak test and give yourself the best chance of accessing any leak (don't finish walls), but also protecting the area from getting soaked if there is a leak (finish the walls)?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

The only way to do it is to cap the outlets and turn the water on. If the connections are behind the finish wall, use couplings and plugs or couplings, short nipples, and caps.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks