leak somewhere

Users who are viewing this thread

gr1zzfan

Reaction score
I had a plumber come and determine I had a leak in my shower pan three weeks ago. I haven't used the shower since and water is beginning to show again. I haven't used anything in the bathroom and the water is in the same place in the floor. Could the water seep out three weeks later from the pan or is it something totally different? I'm having trouble finding someone to do my man-made marble that's why it hasn't been repaired yet. I just want to fix the correct problem because it's not going to be cheap. The water is showing out in front of the shower and the side of the shower in the master bedroom. He checked the incoming shower lines and said there was no leak there. He stopped up the shower and filled it up and determined the leak was in the pan. I just felt that after three weeks it should be dry. Is the pan still the problem?;It's on the bottom floor on slab foundation.:confused: Thank-you

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the shower was built with the liner flat on the floor, maybe it could continue to leak a little over that time (it should sit on a sloped bed). Do your supply line pipes run under the floor?

Check out www.johnbridge.com for tiled shower help.

gr1zzfan

Reaction score
Yes their are lines in the foundation. I checked the water meter yesterday morning before I left for work and ten hours later it hadn't moved at all. Thanks for the reply. I'm at my wits end with this shower, but am going to see it through to the end. I just want the right ending because it is very costly. Yes the shower seems to be flat, but a little higher than the floor, but maybe to high.

Last edited:

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
i find it hard to believe that a shower floor looks flat. Water flows downhill to a drain. Check this again. Put a marble on the floor.

Where is it "showing water again on the floor"? Which floor? How is it showing? Clarity please.

david

gr1zzfan

Reaction score
leak

Thanks for your patience. It isn't flat, the water does flow to the drain. It is a man-made marble base about 3 1/2 by 3 1/2. I've decided to turn the water completely off, let the floor dry and check the base/shower pan again. I don't want to spend this kind of money and still have a problem. Do you feel like I'm heading in the right direction? The house is up for sale and empty so it isn't to much of a problem to leave it off. Thanks again for any and all replies.

gr1zzfan

Reaction score
I left the water off for five days and dried the floor completely. I ducked taped the shower drain and filled it up with water from an outside source and sure enough the floor was wet again after I came home from work. I feel much more confident now that it is the shower pan so hopefully the money will be spent to fix the proper thing. Looks like low end estimates 1500-2000 high end 4000. The pan underneath is a cheap fix it's the marble that's the problem. If anyone has this delima;drying the floor out is much quicker with a box fan. I only left the water off that long because I was out of town.

Last edited:

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
that was a very rigorous scientifically valid approach. Isolating the potential problems and letting the sole source become visible all by itself.

How best to replace the shower pan depends. Describe the walls and the space and let people comment.

david

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks