Leak on brass joint on Rheem water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

SimonT

Reaction score
This brass threaded connected on a point of use water heater suddenly started leaking. I have tried PTFE tape and pipe dope and it still leaks any suggestions ?

Reach4

Reaction score
Do not use tape on a fitting that has a gasket. Is that what you connected -- a flex line with a gasket?

You can use a little pipe dope safe for plastic, or silicone grease, to lubricate the turning as you tighten.

SimonT

Reaction score
Thanks Reach4 for your comment , I had tried using a braided hose connector last night but found that it does not lock down on the washer/Gasket so does not seal it and leaks on the crimped part of the connector (if that makes sense)

The unit is Rheem RTE 9, my wife found the manual.
https://www.manualowl.com/m/Rheem/RTE-9-Series/Manual/296042

I found this interesting note

Very Important Use only the compression fitting ring and nut provided with each unit as shown in drawing. Important Test the installation for leaks before connecting the electrical supply. Check with a professional electrician for required breaker and wire gauge.Compression fittings are designed exclusively for this unit. Do not use a different type of threaded coupling.

So they are pointing at using a compression fitting, That did work for a number of years and then I found that it had been leaking last week. I would love to use something with a Gasket but would need to run to the parts store.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks