Leak Near Home's Water Shut Off Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

jdao3

Reaction score
Hi Everyone. Looking for some advice as to how I would repair this. There's a slow drip leak coming from near our home's water shut off valve. At the end of the cone shaped cap that located above the shut off valve, the leak is coming from where the nut/screw pieces are. I've tried tightening the nut and screw, but it didn't help. I've attached pictures. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0650.jpg
    IMG_0650.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_0651.jpg
    IMG_0651.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_0654.jpg
    IMG_0654.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_0655.jpg
    IMG_0655.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 263

Reach4

Reaction score
That is a pressure reducing valve (PRV). There may be a rebuild kit, but that might need replacing. Can you read a model number from that tag? If you get that valve replaced, you might want to consider having the shut off valve replaced with a quarter turn ball valve while you are at it. They are more reliable. That would require the water to be turned off at the street temporarily.

The screw is a pressure adjustment.

Usually when you have a PRV, you also need a thermal expansion tank.

I suggest you get a water pressure gauge to see what your water pressure is. If you get one with a garden hose thread, you could connect to a hose spigot, laundry tap, or the drain on the WH.

jdao3

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply! The tag was a bit worn and this is all the info I could source from it. Does anyone know what the replacement part would correct replace it (and possibly a link to a part from lowes or home depot)?

Attachments

• IMG_0656.jpg
    IMG_0656.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 259

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need to be aware of a couple of things regarding a PRV. First, a PRV regulates your pressure. Well duh you say, but how is this done? You must have a pressure gauge, you can't just guess. Max pressure on the water supply is 80 psi, 50 to 60 is really better. Next is a thermal expansion tank. This tank is installed after the PRV and its pressure is set to match the PRV setting. This requires a bit of care since it is easy to pump in too much air and rupture the bladder in the tank. The thermal expansion tank installing instruction recommends a bicycle pump. An ordinary tire pressure gauge is best to test the pressure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks