leak in valve of 3-hole sink - replace it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jono2

Reaction score
Hello... The hot tap/handle on our three-hole sink is leaking in the spot I'm pointing in the attached photo. (I've pulled off the handle to show it). It's the interface between the part that actually twists when you rotate the handle and the stationary housing of the valve. Given that, does it likely mean I need to replace the whole thing?
PXL_20230319_175022464.png
Appreciate the advice.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Brass to brass never seizes so it can be removed. If you have the model and brand, replacement cartridges are probably available. What is leaking is probably an O-ring around the stem.

Jono2

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. Turns out it's a Pfister, seems to be from 2015. Pricey for something that failed in 8 years.

According to this page, could be one of two cartridges.

Is there a standard size O-ring used for cartridges I should try on the existing cartridge?
PXL_20230319_190937248.png

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Looks of it you have a lot of minerals in the water. As the minerals harden up on the parts, it acts like grit wearing things down. . I think the internal o ring failed and they are not made to be taken apart and replaced parts but you can try. ACE hardwares stores and others sell a large assortment of O rings.

This looks like the replacement:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks