leak in bath tun wall and hot water tank...

Users who are viewing this thread

Sarah111

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a question concerning a broken pipe in the wall where the bath tub is plus back wash possibilities into a hot water tank. I had mould in that wall around broken pipe and I am wondering if this leak could have comprimised my hot water tank because it was full of dirty water and was coming out of all my taps in the house.

I would really appreciate your advise. This leak was long standing and probably years.

Thanks.

Sarah

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
water heater

I don't think that the leak has anything to do with dirty water.
I've never been an advocate of draining water heaters, but in your case I'd say drain it. Also be prepared to repair or replace that drain valve.
Before you start to drain the tank, shut the water off.
Start draning.
If you can remove the drain valve and screw ih a piece of 3/4" pipe about 6" would be good. You will drain out a lot more garbage.
Then open and close the inlet valve to flush out.

Sarah111

Reaction score
plumber1 said:
I don't think that the leak has anything to do with dirty water.

****Thank you for answering. The leak had been covered up with sylicon after the water tank had been removed.

I've never been an advocate of draining water heaters, but in your case I'd say drain it. Also be prepared to repair or replace that drain valve.

****This tank also did not have a shut off valve. The new one does and there is no more dirty globs of water. However, the moulds found are serious and if these moulds inside the wall with the pipe leak were simply covered up after it infected my hot water tank, I need to understand how that could have happened. Keeping in mind there was no shut off valve on the tank. I had a plumbing company remove the old one and they drained it with buckets.
Thank you for answering my question but it is so vital that I know or understand how or IF this could have affected my tank. We bathed and drank this water without realizing any of this for many years.

Sarah

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
mould

Just speaking as a plumber, I see no reason for that mould to enter the water tank. I don't believe that discolored water was anything but fall out from heating the water and a deteriating water heater tank.
Get rid of the mould inside that wall though.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's not uncommon for old tanks to start rusting.

The mold inside the wall is a moisture problem that should not have affected the drinking water. If the leak is fixed and there is no other source of moisture, you should be able to clear up the mold.

A "rusting tank" will affect the water. You shouldn't be drinking from the hot water side anyway. Since the water system is under pressure, you may have things leaking from the tank, but not entering the tank.

http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/indoorair/mold/

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks