Solid Rider Leak - Help Please!

Users who are viewing this thread

NoClue64

Reaction score
I need help from the pro's diagnosing the cause of a leak under my console sink. The attached picture shows the source of the leak - where the water supply is connected to the cold side. I did not use any tape - pretty sure I read that you don't use tape on a metal to metal connection but maybe I got that wrong. I have tightened down on this connection a couple of times now but the leak remains and I am concerned about over-tightening. Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_3701.jpg
    IMG_3701.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 239

Reach4

Reaction score
At such an angle, it would be hard to overtighten for most people. So see if you can give it another 1/4 turn.

If you pull it back apart, you can lightly add some silicone grease to the rubber seal and the threads. Lubing the threads will let the same amount of torque on the wrenches (you need two) tighten more.

I am not a plumber.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
With a solid riser to a compression stop, you tighten the top 1/2" nut first, and then you tighten the compression nut below last. Otherwise the top connection isn't allowed to pull up far enough to make the snug fit.
I would remove the supply there and replace it. If you go solid riser, pick up a new 3/8" sleeve.

Or pick up a braided supply line and replace what you have. With a braided supply, I like to change the order, installing the lower compression side first and the upper 1/2" nut last, though with the seals on both ends and the extra length, it hardly matters.

solid-riser-to-toilet-01.jpg

Last edited:

NoClue64

Reaction score
IMG_3704.JPG

Terry, thank you - that makes perfect sense and I can assure you I tightened the compression nut first when I installed it so that is likely the issue. I removed the riser and have taken a picture. Before I reassemble and tighten in the correct order, can you confirm whether there should or should not be a rubber washer inside the top nut? I can't recall if the 1/2" nut came with the sink or the riser, but either way - unless I misplaced it - there was no washer.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You will need to pick up new risers and a new nut and ferrule for the stop.
There is no rubber washer for a solid riser. Those come on the flex lines.

solid-riser-to-toilet-02.jpg

Solid riser with the rubber washer for a toilet connection.

Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Visible or hidden, get a braided stainless steel flex. Commonly used, easy to install.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A dab of pipe dope on the tapered mating surfaces prior to tightening up might solve the slow leak.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks