Leak from upstairs shower

Users who are viewing this thread

camokatu

Reaction score
Couple of days ago I noticed water stain on my ceiling. Opened the ceiling - turns out water is escaping from the drain under the upstairs shower, which is a fitted shower. I want try to fix this myself, so I am open to any suggestions: what to try first, words of caution.

Thanks for your help!

Here are some of the pictures I took.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It's a tile shower and it looks like the pan is leaking...

How do you feel about redoing the shower?
It's in the cards....

camokatu

Reaction score
Actually this is a fitter shower, so thankfully I guess I don't have to mess with tiles here (I hope).

3591349081_fb485befb4.jpg

3591348793_5c0b9757c0.jpg

Last edited:

camokatu

Reaction score
Since photos seems to be randomly missing, here is the direct link to all photos.

Thanks for you help!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You probably can't fix this from the top, you'll need to tear out the ceiling. Some of the drains are just a compression fitting with a rubber gasket. If the floor of the shower flexes when you stand in it, over time, the drain worked its way loose. Some have a big nut that needs to be tightened. Hard to tell until you can scope it out. Take the strainer off the drain on the top and look down in. It may give you an idea of what needs to be done.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

What is the gray material on top of the plywood? It cannot be the shower floor because the opening is too ragged. Whatever the problem is, probably a "loose" strainer, you will have to remove some of that stuff to get to it in order to replace the drain fitting.

camokatu

Reaction score
hj,

I believe that gray material is the tub - or the fitter shower rather. I need to remove the nut and see what exactly is going on there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks