Leak from pipe where dishwasher drain hose goes into

Users who are viewing this thread

blues_90

Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure what this part is called, but I have water coming out from the pvc pipe where the dishwasher drain hose goes into if I run the water in the sink for too long.

I have a dual sink: right sink has the garbage disposal, left sink just a regular drain. Yesterday the water was backing up in the left sink when I would run the garbage disposal in the right sink. Clearly there was too much crap that collected in the left sink, thus the back up. I have fixed this problem before by using one of those mini sink plungers. I did the same thing this time and it was fine - I ran the water for a while in the right sink while running the garbage disposal and no back up. Later in the day though my wife was washing the dishes and had the water running in the sink and all of a sudden all this water started coming out from the pipe under the sink that the dishwasher drain hose goes into.

I tested it out and I can run the water from the sink for a while (either sink) until the water starts to back up.

Could the problem be that there is still some debris/small blockage that when the water from the sink is running on high and for a while it creates a backup?

How do I fix this?

Thanks.

blues-90.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd tie dishwasher drain in garburator. Don't forget to knock out the plug. Then cut the ptrap out where the dishwasher ties in now and turn it into a clean out. Then get your drain snaked

blues_90

Reaction score
"Only an idiot would connect a dishwasher that way".

I didn't build it, just fixing said idiot's mistake. The house I'm in is a flip and all new plumbing was installed as part of the flip. Hasn't been an issue for three years until now.

blues_90

Reaction score
I'd tie dishwasher drain in garburator. Don't forget to knock out the plug. Then cut the ptrap out where the dishwasher ties in now and turn it into a clean out. Then get your drain snaked

Looked up some videos and that's pretty straightforward. Not clear on the "Then cut the ptrap out where the dishwasher ties in now and turn it into a clean out" part.

But what about water coming out from the standpipe? Right now, when the dishwasher is not running, and the sink faucet is on, after a while water backs up and starts leaking from the standpipe.

Seems like even if I connect the drain hose to the disposal, I will still be left with a standpipe from which water can leak out from, if a potential clog is not removed.

Reach4

Reaction score
Looked up some videos and that's pretty straightforward. Not clear on the "Then cut the ptrap out where the dishwasher ties in now and turn it into a clean out" part.
Cut, probably with a saw. Then glue a cleanout adapter with plug on the pipe stub. This presumes the stub will be long enough.
nibco-couplings-adaptors-c4816hd112-64_145.jpg
If the stub would not be long enough, there is another way that would have to be chosen before cutting near the wall.

blues_90

Reaction score
Cut, probably with a saw. Then glue a cleanout adapter with plug on the pipe stub. This presumes the stub will be long enough.
nibco-couplings-adaptors-c4816hd112-64_145.jpg
If the stub would not be long enough, there is another way that would have to be chosen before cutting near the wall.

Thanks Reach4.

To summarize, my steps should be:
1) Snake out both drain pipes.
2) Reconnect the drain hose directly to the disposal, but first make sure to knock out the disposal plug.
3) Cut the standpipe where it's just a stub sticking out from the wall and put a clean out adapter on it.

Why would the people who flipped the house do this to begin with? Seems way more easier and straightforward to have one drain pipe and plug the drain hose directly into the disposal?

Reach4

Reaction score
3) Cut the standpipe where it's just a stub sticking out from the wall and put a clean out adapter on it.
Before cutting, take a picture from the side of where you would cut, and post it. Also measure the amount of free pipe you would expect to have after the cut. I think you need to have 3/4 inch.

If there would be less, check back. There is another less-simple way. But no need to go into that if you have enough pipe for the cleanout adapter to glue onto.

Why? I am not a plumber. It was a lot of extra work. Perhaps they read or heard of a local rule, and were trying to follow that, but messed up in other ways. I cannot be sure that your area accepts connecting to the disposal. But if you want a nice working system, do what Plumber69 prescribed.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks Reach4.

To summarize, my steps should be:
1) Snake out both drain pipes.
2) Reconnect the drain hose directly to the disposal, but first make sure to knock out the disposal plug.

Why would the people who flipped the house do this to begin with? Seems way more easier and straightforward to have one drain pipe and plug the drain hose directly into the disposal?
you will only have to snake the clean out drain once installed.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
sink_dw.jpg

This is one common method used that employs an Air-Gap on the counter that prevents water from the disposer from siphoning back to the dishwasher.
If you don't have a way to add an air-gap, at least running the drain as high as possible under the counter before connecting to the disposer or a tee fitting in the drain above the p-trap.
It has never been legal to have an open standpipe under the counter for a dishwasher. Whoever plumbed your flipped home had no idea about plumbing.

Your original p-trap location is fine, but do cap off the pipe from the wall that the dishwasher is draining to now.

disposer-piping.jpg

This connection to a p-trap is done water tight. Not loosely placed like yours.

disposer-piping-change-5.jpg

Most often how it's done.

Last edited:

blues_90

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the advice. Very clear. Main issue now is that I can't put the snake in too far, and I don't want to force it in there as well. Do I just keep trying? And if I still can't pull out/clear out any clogs, admit defeat and call a plumber? I'm not too proud to call in an expert.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Why would the people who flipped the house do this to begin with

Because the ARE "flippers" not mechanical trades people. So they do things the easiest AND cheapest way.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks