Leak from drain in basement, Coming from Washer/Bathroom?

Users who are viewing this thread

Scottq

Reaction score
I've noticed a leak coming from a PVC pipe visible in my basement. Water seems to be coming down the outside of the pipe, but is difficult to see where exactly because the pipe disappears into the floor (basement ceiling). This will be a drip, maybe one drop per few seconds.

I can run toilets, sinks, tubs without any problem. However, if I run the washing machine, the leak will start. If i then go back to the bathroom and run the sink or toilet, the leak continues (but this only after running the washer). This makes no sense to me. bathroom is on 2nd floor, washing machine is on 1st floor, but I believe both drains tie into each other at some point.

Does anyone have any clue how this is possible?

mikewlm

Reaction score
I've noticed a leak coming from a PVC pipe visible in my basement. Water seems to be coming down the outside of the pipe, but is difficult to see where exactly because the pipe disappears into the floor (basement ceiling). This will be a drip, maybe one drop per few seconds.

I can run toilets, sinks, tubs without any problem. However, if I run the washing machine, the leak will start. If i then go back to the bathroom and run the sink or toilet, the leak continues (but this only after running the washer). This makes no sense to me. bathroom is on 2nd floor, washing machine is on 1st floor, but I believe both drains tie into each other at some point.

Does anyone have any clue how this is possible?
Did you ever find out where the leak was? I am having the same problem. No problem until the washing machine runs. No leak from washing machine. I am thinking about replacing the drain hose connecting to the washing machine that feeds into the pvc drain pipe. That is the only variable now. I water into the drain pipe using a garden hose and there was no leak.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks