Leak between tub strainer and shoe elbow... use teflon tape here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lithnights

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just got done installing my new bathtub. I used a “Watts EZY Touch Bath Drain.†Everything looks good except when I tested the supply and waste lines, I have a small leak between the shoe strainer and shoe elbow. The directions stated “apply a bead of putty around the underside flange of the strainer. Set shoe elbow under tub with rubber washer between shoe elbow and tub. Screw in strainer using pliers to secure shoe strainer into shoe elbowâ€

I did just that but I still have a leak.

I figure it could be two things…

1) I should have used some Teflon tape when screwing in the strainer. The directions didn’t say to use it but I’m wondering if I should OR
2) I should try to tighten the strainer some more…Although I tightened it pretty darn tight. OR
3) Both

Any thoughts here?

Thanks in advance,

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
There is most likly putty pushing the washer enough to make it leak. Take it apart and try again using less putty.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

Teflon tape will not do anything to stop the leak. Try tightening it some more. If the tub and shoe are in alignment all that is needed is the rubber gasket, with some putty under the flange.

Lithnights

Reaction score
I tightened it and it works like a charm. I had it pretty tight before but I guess was afraid to turn that extra 1/4 turn for fear of breaking the elbow somehow.

That was almost too easy. ;)

Thanks as always!

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I always use plumber's putty and let the excess squeeze out and teflon thread sealant on the threads that go into the shoe. I couldn't begin to count how many I have removed that didn't have some type of sealant to allow easy removal, but the ones that did came out with ease.

Those I remember, not too often but I always make more money on a service call to replace one that has sealant on the threads. (1 hour charge minimum, less time to perform task, leaving before hour is up)

Lithnights

Reaction score
RUGGED said:
I always use plumber's putty and let the excess squeeze out and teflon thread sealant on the threads that go into the shoe. I couldn't begin to count how many I have removed that didn't have some type of sealant to allow easy removal, but the ones that did came out with ease.

Those I remember, not too often but I always make more money on a service call to replace one that has sealant on the threads. (1 hour charge minimum, less time to perform task, leaving before hour is up)

I did use the plumber's putty and just wiped away the excess as I screwed the drain on. But did not use the teflon tape.

So are you saying the teflon tape or sealant is used more for easy removal rather than used for leak stoppage? hj mentioned that it wouldn't do anything for the leak but if it will help in the future for removal it seems like a good idea to use....

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Thread sealant yes, tape no. I use it so 5,10,15 years from now when the trim piece needs replacing I don't need to worry about getting a sawzall out or pulling a groin muscle to break it loose. Plumber's grease would work as well. Anyone that knows plumbing knows how smooth a job can be when you don't have to remove plumbing items that are not "froze" in position from calcium or grime.

Lithnights

Reaction score
RUGGED said:
Thread sealant yes, tape no. I use it so 5,10,15 years from now when the trim piece needs replacing I don't need to worry about getting a sawzall out or pulling a groin muscle to break it loose. Plumber's grease would work as well. Anyone that knows plumbing knows how smooth a job can be when you don't have to remove plumbing items that are not "froze" in position from calcium or grime.

OK, I misread there. I saw "teflon thread sealant " and thought teflon tape. But you are saying sealant not tape. Crazy eyes.... :eek:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks