Leak beneath toilets to 1st floor ceiling.

Users who are viewing this thread

AmandaKae

Reaction score
Our house was built in 2008. Last year when we moved in (April 2019), we had tile installed in our upstairs bathrooms & it looks like the ones who installed it didn't properly replace the toilet wax ring, etc. We noticed 2 water stains/ leaks on the 1st floor ceiling directly below the 2nd floor toilets. The

We bought the Fluidmaster wax free seal because I think our tile may be slightly uneven. Wondering if we should replace the flange and/or if there's anything else we should do before putting the toilet back? The flange is below the tile. There seem to be gaps where water could escape beneath the tile. I'm not sure if we need to fill them in with something?

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• 20210101_210003.jpg
    20210101_210003.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 167
  • 20210101_205936.jpg
    20210101_205936.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 166

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally when the flange is lower than the finished flooring, I stack two wax rings.
I drop a regular wax ring down and then one with a horn over that.
Before I do that though, I check to see if the bowl will rock on the floor, and place shims toward the back if needed.
I then pull the bowl, drop the wax rings, and set the bowl back down.
Make sure the existing flange is clean before dropping the wax.

AmandaKae

Reaction score
Normally when the flange is lower than the finished flooring, I stack two wax rings.
I drop a regular wax ring down and then one with a horn over that.
Before I do that though, I check to see if the bowl will rock on the floor, and place shims toward the back if needed.
I then pull the bowl, drop the wax rings, and set the bowl back down.
Make sure the existing flange is clean before dropping the wax.

Thank you so much for your advice! Truly appreciated!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks