Leak at top or Rheem electric water heater.

Users who are viewing this thread

frankjc

Reaction score
Hello. I am having trouble with my water heater that was installed in October. Shortly after it was installed, my main breaker tripped. An electric friend came checked everything out, said things looked fine. It tripped again today. The water heater breaker was hot, but did not trip. I poked around a little noticed water IN the junction box on top of the water heater. There was water IN the wire nuts. I looked over all my pipe connections and they seem fine. I did also notice moisture in the anode rod cover. It makes me wonder if the rod is leaking, or maybe the tank itself. Anyone seen this happen before.
This is scary. It's going to be shut off for now.

IMG_20210425_201806280.jpg
IMG_20210425_200603217.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

douglas phipps

Reaction score
I have a three year old Rheem. I called a plumber to changed the anode, he lifted the plastic cap over the anode and said he felt moisture and didn't what to touch it. So I changed the anode myself. The old anode was still good, but I did notice that the threads at the top were bent in some places. Put a new anode in, and there was no leak. After two days, I put the plastic cap on top, now I see a small bubble of water under the plastic cap. My question is, is a small amount of water normal? Can this just be condensation from inside the tank or do I have bigger problems ahead?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks