Lead wipe joint

Users who are viewing this thread

L squad

Reaction score
Hello. I have an old lead service that has a 1/2" piece of copper shoved inside and a wipe joint. I want to remove the 1/2" copper and replace with a 3/4" pack joint coupling to allow more flow.
Question is..... do I just simply heat the fitting to remove the copper?
Not much is protruding from the ground so cutting it is not much of an option.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've never seen one. But I would imagine they're not unlike a DWV wipe joint where the two pipes were butt up together directly in the middle of the wipe/bulb. Looking at the installation instructions for the Ford Pack fitting, I would imagine you need to get rid of most of the bulb to tighten onto just straight pipe. They also suggest the use of a stiffener for any pipe that may deform when clamped and this is the part that gets really tricky.. stiffeners may cause the lead to split if the diameters aren't closely matched.

If I were coming to look at a project like that, I would suggest replacing the lead service altogether.

Also found this link that may be useful. LeadLoc

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hello. I have an old lead service that has a 1/2" piece of copper shoved inside and a wipe joint. I want to remove the 1/2" copper and replace with a 3/4" pack joint coupling to allow more flow.
If the 1/2" pipe is only 6" or 12" long, removing it is very unlikely to provide much improvement. It doesn't behave like a sudden bottleneck, the pressure drop in that section of pipe is still proportional to its length.

So if that's your only motivation, just leave the 1/2" in place and quickly transition to a larger size. But I expect replacing the lead service line is the best long term option.

Cheers, Wayne

L squad

Reaction score
Thanks. Yes I only wanted a bit more flow. But I can cut the copper very low and transition to larger pipe just above the joint.
I had also looked at lead loc. Couldn't find a US dealer though

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks