lead flared pipe/installing a flange

Users who are viewing this thread

BobMin

Reaction score
I have a lead closet bend, that goes into a cast iron soil stack on the second floor of my house. I know the proper thing is to replace all the lead from the flange to the soil stack. However the lead is in excellent shape, I don't have the money to have someone replace that plus the galvanized waste lines that jut into it from the sink and the tub, and if I do it myself I'm not qualified for other problems that might arise while doing the job.
I'm going to be installing a 1/4" subfloor and then sheet vinyl on top of that, which will bring the floor up from the flared lead closet bend.
What is the best way for a diyer to install a flange on the lead closet bend and also make it so that the flange is the proper height ( as if it where seated ontop of the subfloor)
Bob

BobMin

Reaction score
flange

There was not a flange under the toilet, only a wax ring with a horn and the flared lead pipe

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes, some old timers used to peen the lead over onto the floor and use closet screws, not bolts to hold the toilet.

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
There is a flat brass flange still available for lead bends. It is to be put over the lead riser, then fastened to the floor and finally the lead riser is pounded down onto the flange.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks