Lead closet bend

Users who are viewing this thread

VernK

Reaction score
Being Saturday, only one plumbing supply house is open here and the guy on the desk knows nothing about the donuts. They do have lead stubs, though.

Two more little bits of info: this elbow is not perpendicular to the floor, as the 18" of pipe running into tee of the waste stack is sloped for drainage. So the existing lead stub has to bend a bit to come up through the floor straight. This suggests that just replacing the lead stub might be the best. The other bit of info is that there are no marks on the pipe or elbow to indicate SV or XH, but the pipe measures 4.5" OD which means it apparently should be XH.

Could I use a lead stub with a donut? I see that the end of it is soldered to a copper pipe which fits in the hub.

Yours
Vern

VernK

Reaction score
Just to follow up on what I did. I bought a 12" lead stub and cut the top 4 inches off. I cut the old lead stub as level as I could about an inch below floor level, then carefully belled the old stub out so the new piece would fit inside about 2". Then I used Sika 291 (a marine bedding compound, approved for sewage and sticks to everything) and bedded the new piece in the old. After that cured, I cut out the top of the new lead and bent it down onto the closet flange, with a little bead on Sika underneath.

Seems to be working just fine so far, and if it turns out to be a bad solution, I have a lead stub on hand to replace the entire affair.

Yours
Vern

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks