Lead closet bend replacement 3" copper

Users who are viewing this thread

Ken from Ohio

Reaction score
I am repairing a leaking shower in my home. While I have to floor apart I intended to replace to lead closet bend because the first floor bend is leaking The house is 49 years old. However, when I removed to subfloor plywood I realized that the lead bend was probably ok, but unfortunately I had already cut off the flange below the level of the floor.

There is not enough room to use a mission style fitting on the inlet to the 3" brass wye if I cut off the lead only. I intent to instead make two cuts in the locations shown below and use two mission/proflex style couplings to connect the new PVC closet bend.

1.) Will this repair provide years of trouble free and enjoyable service?
2.) Can the mission rubber type couplings be slid over the smaller OD pipe (3" copper I believe in this case) far enough to work the PVC assembly into place, then slide into proper position to join the pipes? Or is another method necessary to work to PVC into place.
IMG_4197_mod.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Mission comes in a copper x plastic size. You can roll the rubber back, drop it in place and roll the rubber back. Slide the covering over and tighten the bands, you're done!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks