Laying tile around an old toilet bowl flange

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Jason Daniels, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Jason Daniels

Jason Daniels New Member

Hi, I’m installing tile in an old bathroom. The old flange looks the be lead pored with a cast iron ring. I have a few questions on how to approach this.
    1. The ring has a piece missing on the back side. It doesn’t seem to serve a purpose as the bolts are placed in the notched areas next to it. So I’m hope this missing piece will not effect anything.
    2.I have not place my tile down, but I did use some self leveling compound. Right now the top of the flange sits 1/2” above the floor on one side and 3/4” on the other. I’m assuming the wax ring will adjust for this and a 1/4” won’t matter much?
    3. My tile is 3/8” thick. I’m assuming the thunder will add another 3/8”. So once I lay my tile the flange will sit flush or 1/4” below my tile. I know this isn’t ideal but any extender I can find will raise it 1/2” or more. Is this too much?
    I’ll add some photos soon. Thanks

2. Jason Daniels

Jason Daniels New Member

I bought 5/8” bolts when I should have bough 1/4” so ignore that. Another issue with an extender is that they want you to fasten it to both the flange and subfloor. There’s not much subfloor there as the concrete is chipped away in spots and is not pored all the way up to the pipe.
    I tried to place a toilet flange repair kit on it but it fits very tight and uneven because the old cat has too many imperfections

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    As long as the flange is secure, you're good. The broken part of the flange doesn't matter.
    A little low is fine. Most of my installs the flange is a little lower than the finished floor anyway.
    A thick wax ring or two rings stacked and you're golden.

Jeff H Young likes this.