Lavatory push-up drain - need more travel

Users who are viewing this thread

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The sink the wife chose for her bathroom has the drain smack dab in the middle, much like how vessel sinks do except this one has an overflow drain. Most popup vessel drains I've seen do not work with overflow type sinks.

Anyway, I installed a standard pull-up rod style faucet that comes with a drain that pushes up when the pull-rod is pushed down. The problem is that because of how far away the drain is, the amount of travel on the pull-up rod provides very little travel on the push-up drain.

The wife decided she didn't like how slow the sink drained with it so she unscrewed the stopper from the assembly and never held water in the sink. From lack of use over the years and due to dissimilar metals, the rod and ball pivot seized. Suddenly she got the notion to use the stopper and so screwed it back onto the assembly and tried to close it. In so doing, she managed to snap the brass seat the ball pivots in right off and didn't bother telling me.

She continues to use the sink except now it is leaking underneath where the ball used to be. Somehow it is all my fault that her towels she stored under the sink are all wet and the woodwork of the cabinet swelled. {sigh}

One of the tricks I know is to bend an offset in the metal with the holes in it so that it engages a little closer to the pivot point. Another is to reverse the push-up stopper assembly (with an offset eye) so that the eye the rod goes through is further from the pivot. Lastly, I slip a bit of tubing over the rod to take up a bit of the slack where it engages the eye and forces the eye to stay further away from the pivot.

Any other tricks?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Well... I picked up a generic replacement from Manards. It has a better range of travel than the OEM did so the wife is happy.

Next I need to change out the two angle stops. I wanted to get the 1/4 or 1/2 turn washerless style but Manards only had them in straight, not right angle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks