Votes: 0 0.0%
  • leave it, he did it correctly

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

US3rnotfound

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently hired a plumber to route supply and drain lines to a new single bathroom lavatory location in my master bathroom. So, after a few days have passed and we are still getting quotes on tile contractors, I noticed some things about the drain line that look odd:
1. It is 1 - 1/2" instead of 1 - 1/4".
2. The drain opening in the wall is just a PVC elbow, not threaded for an easy slip-joint installation for a standard lavatory drain.

Am I correct and do you recommend I replace this with sanitary tee that converts from 1 - 1/2" to 1 - 1/4" and have a slip-joint elbow (not sure the official name of it)?
Thank you.
4HYt0nN.jpg

US3rnotfound

Reaction score
I would also have done it that way, but would NOT have glued the pipe into the elbow until I was ready to connect the sink's drain.
It's not glued in. Why would you have done it this way? What parts would I need to install a simple drain arm from a big box store when I install my vanity?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You contractor did a very nice job.
He used the correct coupling to go from copper to PVC, and it's 1.5" which is the new standard.
At finish is when the threaded adapter is glued onto the pipe stub. That allows you to place an escutcheon near the wall and then glue the adapter on afterwards. We use a 1.5" p-trap that uses a reducing slip joint washer at the tailpiece.

p-trap_with_adapter.jpg

The trap adapters come in PVC and in ABS.

US3rnotfound

Reaction score
You contractor did a very nice job.
He used the correct coupling to go from copper to PVC, and it's 1.5" which is the new standard.
At finish is when the threaded adapter is glued onto the pipe stub. That allows you to place an escutcheon near the wall and then glue the adapter on afterwards. We use a 1.5" p-trap that uses a reducing slip joint washer at the tailpiece.

p-trap_with_adapter.jpg

The trap adapters come in PVC and in ABS.
Huh! Well alright I had no idea that the new standard is 1.5", and didn't know about that trap adapter. Thanks a lot for this info.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks