Lavatory Drain Question

Users who are viewing this thread

leelee77

Reaction score
Hi guys, how important is it to get a perfect seal on the flange of a lavatory drain when you have a sink with an overflow? I'm using plumber's putty but the flange shape is just slightly different than the shape of the sink so I got curious, if a drip did make it through under the flange, would it just go into the overflow area and down the drain anyway?

Also, does the overflow area need to be cleaned out once in a while? I was kind of surprised it wasn't empty since I never fill up my sink but it was pretty gross.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Any water past the flange on a lav drain goes down the drain anyway. It's only important if you want to keep a full basin of water without it dropping it's level.
And yes, the overflow holes do look disgusting after a while. It's a good thing nobody sees that until they're replacing the faucet again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks