lavatory drain: need suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

traff_ss

Reaction score
I recently replaced a rather large pedestal sink with a much smaller wall hung unit:

sink2_cropped_.JPG

With the new sink, the distance from the drain back to the wall was decreased so much that I couldn't install the p-trap in the normal fashion; instead I had to use the 2 45's and hang the p-trap off to one side. With all the additional slip-joints, the whole system is now rather fragile. So, I'm soliciting suggestions on a better way to solve this. One person has suggested I try to find a "compact p-trap" (one which does not take up as much horizontal space), but I have never seen one.

I have about 6" or so to work with...

I would appreciate any input...thanks in advance!

tom

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
looks good as is. The most low cost option is to glue a reinforcement between the tile and the chrome (pipe). The tiles look good, btw.

since you asked about alternatives, look into "bottle traps". They will make a straight line down and across. Decorative bottle traps, chrome plated brass, are available for just this purpose. It's supposed to be better-looking, a "visible " drain thing, that doesn't look much at all like utility plumbing. Some are chrome plated plastic. None are inexpensive.

What you have is a P trap, better at draining than a bottle trap. No big difference in a hand rinse sink. Usually you can undo a bottle trap easily (with its slip joints) if you want to look inside the bottle part, clean it, and remove all those guests' diamond rings they dropped down there. Some have strainers where the pop-up lever gets screwed in on the side of the pipe just below the drain, so you'll be unscrewing something to remove hair and stuff on a regular basis anyway, at that spot. But, with your faucet in the corner, it may not be a good idea to get one with a lever pull pop up, or said another way, the pop up may only work if you press it down manually and lift it underneath; I'm not sure about that since I haven't done sinks with corner taps.

David

traff_ss

Reaction score
bottle trap = good suggestion

Hey, thanks David, the bottle trap is something I haven't seen before, and is a good suggestion. Man, they are expensive, but I did find a few on ****...I think the wife will be happier about the way it looks too :)

and thanks for the comment on the tile...!

tom

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As I understand it, bottle traps, while they work, are not code and are more susceptable to getting clogged with hair, etc. It may also be an issue if you need to get the install inspected, or if the house inspector picks up on it when selling.

spetrucco

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Wall Clamps

Tom,

I run a lot of emt conduit inside buildings and use pipe clamps offset via all-thread that thread into wall clamps. This would require drilling a couple more holes in your nice tile work but would not require you to change your piping configuration. They may come in crome to match your existing color to.
Just an idea.

-Shawn

traff_ss

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Yea, I don't want to mess with something that isn't code since we will be selling the house in a couple years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks