Lav Cleanout: Test Tee vs Sanitary

Users who are viewing this thread

Aaron_808

Reaction score
Hello again,

I’m installing 2” cleanouts just below my lav sanitary tees/trap arms. Should they be test tees or sanitary tees? Or does it matter?

It seems like sani tees would be better for less accumulation. It also seems like I’m overthinking this.

Thanks!
-Aaron

Aaron_808

Reaction score
Ah. Looks like the best of both worlds! Either way, if installed in a 2x4 wall, would you recommend extending it a little bit to make the drywall work cleaner? I’m guessing it would be better to have the cap a little proud of the drywall.

Thanks again!

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have the same question, but with a threaded tee already in the wall. Is there an easy solution to extending the plug out of the wall a couple inches, other than using a female adapter + street male adapter (or vice versa)?

Cheers, Wayne

Aaron_808

Reaction score
Heh, that’s how I was going to extend off a test tee. Maybe I’ll go with a sanitary instead then...

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah, if you don't want the threaded connection within the wall, better to go with a san-tee and a short stub, it avoids an extra threaded connection. Depending on your construction sequence, you might just leave the stub long and solvent-weld cap it, then cut it to length later when you know exactly how much you want the plug to project out of the wall.

Cheers, Wayne

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
My old drain cleaner asked us installers to place the clean out fittings above the trap arm. That way they could run the sink while snaking the line and not have water come spilling out of the clean out.

Extending the clean out fitting creates a bit of a problem if you're extending it too far that the cable doesn't know which direction to go. So depending on how far you go you should be installing long sweep fittings.. wye or combo.

as a fairly inexperienced drain cleaner.. i've definately had cables go UP rather than down.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks