Lav Cleanout: Test Tee vs Sanitary

Discussion in 'UPC Plumbing Code Questions' started by aaron_808, Sep 27, 2020.

1. aaron_808

aaron_808 New Member

Hello again,

I’m installing 2” cleanouts just below my lav sanitary tees/trap arms. Should they be test tees or sanitary tees? Or does it matter?

It seems like sani tees would be better for less accumulation. It also seems like I’m overthinking this.

Thanks!
    -Aaron

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    I've used both before.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

5. aaron_808

aaron_808 New Member

Ah. Looks like the best of both worlds! Either way, if installed in a 2x4 wall, would you recommend extending it a little bit to make the drywall work cleaner? I’m guessing it would be better to have the cap a little proud of the drywall.

Thanks again!

6. wwhitney

wwhitney Well-Known Member

I have the same question, but with a threaded tee already in the wall. Is there an easy solution to extending the plug out of the wall a couple inches, other than using a female adapter + street male adapter (or vice versa)?

Cheers, Wayne

7. aaron_808

aaron_808 New Member

Heh, that’s how I was going to extend off a test tee. Maybe I’ll go with a sanitary instead then...

8. wwhitney

wwhitney Well-Known Member

Yeah, if you don't want the threaded connection within the wall, better to go with a san-tee and a short stub, it avoids an extra threaded connection. Depending on your construction sequence, you might just leave the stub long and solvent-weld cap it, then cut it to length later when you know exactly how much you want the plug to project out of the wall.

Cheers, Wayne

9. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades

My old drain cleaner asked us installers to place the clean out fittings above the trap arm. That way they could run the sink while snaking the line and not have water come spilling out of the clean out.

Extending the clean out fitting creates a bit of a problem if you're extending it too far that the cable doesn't know which direction to go. So depending on how far you go you should be installing long sweep fittings.. wye or combo.

as a fairly inexperienced drain cleaner.. i've definately had cables go UP rather than down.