Laundry Sump Pump (in a box) and p-trap vent

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris Dill

Reaction score
I have a utility sink in the basement below my waste line. The sink is dual drain, with one p-trap that services both. It empties into a sump pump in a box, Blue Angel brand. It discharges into my main sewer discharge.

I can vent into the main stack, or I can vent outside with an upward angle, or I can get a vent nozzle and not vent.

What should I do? Less concerned with code, more concerned with safety and utility.

Chris

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The basin must have a true vent to the outdoors as air most be able to flow both in and out of it for it to work.

You can tie into an exiting stack, but the connection must be above any of the fixture drains which are connected to the stack. Depending on the structure, this means the most accessible point of connection is in the attic. Sometimes it is easier to make a new vent through the roof.

Chris Dill

Reaction score
What about venting through the basement sill and downturning the pipe? Or what about tieing into the existing vent stack at the bottom mos point, but making sure my pipe is turned down a bit where it connects?

Under the front porch if I go through the sil, there is no risk of water or anything else getting in besides animals, and I can put a cover on it.

Going up through the roof is not on my list of things to do, as it is 3 finished floors.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
This is a home that someone else may live in someday. Meeting the minimum standard of the plumbing code is never too much to ask.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks