Laundry & Sink Drain/Vent : Is this correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Walter B

Reaction score
I am building/insulating a basement wall and I need the drain/vent plumbing modified to build the wall. Currently it is using 1.5" ABS (and I am doubtful that it was done correctly). As seen in the picture it currently has 2" cast iron connecting to 1.5" drain & vent. I would like to cut off the cast iron hub and connect 2" via a no-hub fitting. Is my sketched wet-venting method up to code?

Old.jpg
Proposed.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
None of your drawing is right.

The washer trap arm needs a santee on the vertical, and a vent above it, not a waste line from above.

Santee, and then vent out of the top, with no waste coming down.

dwv_b2.jpg

Vents go up, waste goes down.

washer_rough_sno.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
img_2.jpg

1. sink could be on left.
2. cleanout could be moved up above wye and below the 1-1/2 to 2 inch reducer.
3. red and orange vents join above 6 inches above standpipe and rim of sink ("flood levels"). Connection can be upside-down santee.

Walter B

Reaction score
Ok I think I understand. Is this better? Is the horizontal vent to be > 6" above the washer standpipe or the sink standpipe?
New Sketch.jpg
s this what you mean?

Reach4

Reaction score
That's what I meant, presuming the fittings containing horizontal to horizontal drainage are combos and not santees.
You could also feed the sink and standpipe into different santees on the vertical stuff if that suits your needs better.

As seen in the picture it currently has 2" cast iron connecting to 1.5" drain & vent. I would like to cut off the cast iron hub and connect 2" via a no-hub fitting.
That cast iron into the floor might have a 2 inch hub, and instead of a shielded coupling, how about a Fernco donut? Search for that in this forum, using the search box above.

Walter B

Reaction score
Is a combo the same as a "T"? Like this ?

Sketch 3.jpg

It is indeed a 2" hub. I considered the Fernco donut but I thought it would be difficult to remove the hard material, Oakum or whatever it is.

20200410_155224.jpg

fernco-donut.jpg

For the 2" cast iron hub.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
It is indeed a 2" hub. I considered the Fernco donut but I thought it would be difficult to remove the hard material, Oakum or whatever it is.
Top layer is lead. Below that is the oakum. Seems easy enough to me although I have never done it. I would get some long drill bits so that the drilling is more straight down. A drill extension might be as good as long bits.
68516_I.jpg

I would work on drilling out the easiest to reach part, and pry the lead with the old screwdriver. At some point you can rock the pipe to help. You can do a lot of drilling of lead, which is fairly soft, in 10 minutes. Vacuum up the chips.

1/4 and 3/8 seem like good bit diameters.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Any reventing going horizontal is 42" or higher above the floor.
You have a 2" cast iron hub that will take 2" pipe. A regular drill bit and flat blade screwdriver will get the lead out.
A fernco donut allows you to tap in a 2" pipe after some liquid soap for lubrication and beveling the end of the pipe.

washer_rough_b.jpg

Walter B

Reaction score
Reach4, I think I just clued into what you meant by "combo".

That's what I meant, presuming the fittings containing horizontal to horizontal drainage are combos and not santees.

It must mean a Wye connected to a elbow. I don't see any fittings that combine them at Home Depot, but that makes sence that any draining onto a horizontal would need a smoother flow than a santee would provide.

Walter B

Reaction score
Ok thanks, I think I have the terminology down now. I was also thinking that a santee was different than a tee now I realize they are the same.

Reach4

Reaction score

Walter B

Reaction score
I made a mistake: what I thought was a drain is a vent and vice vera. Now the existing seems logical except for the Wye in the drainpipe.

Actual.JPG

So back to the drawing board kinda. Are there any flaws apparent in this sketch?

Revised sketch.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Now the existing seems logical except for the Wye in the drainpipe.
Wye in the drainpipe is totally logical too. Why do you suspect it is not?

Here is an alternate below. Also, maybe another cleanout in the drain line from above.

Attachments

• img_2.png
    img_2.png
    10 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks