Laundry Room Smell After Remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

HiQ

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So our laundry room was remodelled a bit ago and now we're having some rotten egg smell. I assume it has to do with the p trap in the drain, but other suggestions are welcomed. I don't think it started right away, but now it's pretty bad whenever we run a washing cycle. Remodel included putting in a drain box thing to clean stuff up a bit which resulted in changes to the water lines and vent/drain in the wall. It's all closed up now, but I have a picture from before it got drywalled/painted.

IMG_0810.jpg

Any major issues there? It looks like the trap arm is a little short, but min is what 4"? The vent is 1.5" The drain was increased to 2" as per code now.

Other suggestions? We have front load machines if that matters. The washing machine flex hose drain run is fairly long. Should it be looped down or straight horizontal to the standpipe? Could I just seal the flex hose to the standoff somehow? Thanks!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Stick your nose in the washer, the front loaders are well known to develop a foul odor.

The piping looks ok. I would have liked the 45 offset to be higher above the drain, and they should have installed a cleanout below the sanitary tee.

HiQ

Reaction score
Okay thanks for the confirmations guys. I guess we can start looking into the washer as being the culprit. Do the flexible drain lines from the washers have any requirements on them? I know they need that plastic mould that keeps the line 180'd down into the standpipe, but anything else? Do they have to loop down significantly first or anything like that? Or can you run them fairly horizontal once they come out of the top of the washer?

Reach4

Reaction score
I guess we can start looking into the washer as being the culprit.
Many newer washers have a special washer cleaning cycle.

I know they need that plastic mould that keeps the line 180'd down into the standpipe, but anything else? Do they have to loop down significantly first or anything like that? Or can you run them fairly horizontal once they come out of the top of the washer?
No slope requirements.

HiQ

Reaction score
Many newer washers have a special washer cleaning cycle.

No slope requirements.

Okay thanks! I know we bought some afresh or whatever it's called and there is a specific cycle for that. We've done it once, but maybe we'll do it again. Or google some other options for flushes, etc. Our well water and softener probably don't help the equation

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks