Laundry Room Renovation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Eviveiro

Reaction score
Hello, Texas resident here. Recently became a first time home owner. I'm looking to renovate my laundry room and would like to hear you alls opinion/advice.

We are looking to change our set up from a side by side washer and dryer to stacked set up and add a utility sink.

There is a PVC pipe coming in through the wall from the garage, which is the waste line from the softwater system. I would like to try and move this into the wall with its own dedicated connection to the drain if possible.

I'm also looking to add my reverse osmosis system to the room. My kitchen is right next to the laundry room and the kitchen sink is on an island separate from the refrigerator. So the idea is to use the supply line and drain in the laundry room to hook up the RO system and run a supply line from there through the wall to the refrigerator outlet.

Would the added utility sink and RO system be too much? what would be the easiest way to accomplish this task?

I have attached a photo of the wall with the drywall removed and a photo in the attic above.

20220718_013037 (1).jpg
20220718_013256 (1).jpg
20220718_014339 (1).jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I see that that standpipe is 2 inch pipe.

For the softener, you could cut a hole in the top of the box, and route the drain line into the top of the air gap that way. That frees up access for the washing machine drain.

I am not sure how you would then add the RO drain in that case. One possibility is to switch to an RO dispenser that has a built-in air gap. That would let you tee the output of that air gap into the kitchen drain before the trap.

Eviveiro

Reaction score
I see that that standpipe is 2 inch pipe.

For the softener, you could cut a hole in the top of the box, and route the drain line into the top of the air gap that way. That frees up access for the washing machine drain.

I am not sure how you would then add the RO drain in that case. One possibility is to switch to an RO dispenser that has a built-in air gap. That would let you tee the output of that air gap into the kitchen drain before the trap.
Thanks this helps. I think I will have the stacked setup on the left. The dryer exhaust and gas line will be moved up to accommodate the waste line. The softener pipe comes down the garage wall and then into the room so I can easily have it come through the wall higher and then into the box as suggested.

For the RO system I have another washer box I modded for it. I think I can just set that up with the drain like it normally would be done for a washer, just higher on the wall. I think to get the additional waste lines I could do like in this photo:

pederson_washer_2.jpg

I think the line to the right of the double wye could be for the RO system and the line to the left go to the sink.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
For the RO, the standpipe and trap would not have to be 2 inch.

Your dryer exhaust blows lint up and through the attic? That may clog at some point, so consider access for cleanout.

Eviveiro

Reaction score
For the RO, the standpipe and trap would not have to be 2 inch.

Your dryer exhaust blows lint up and through the attic? That may clog at some point, so consider access for cleanout.
Yeah this is an interior wall, what is weirder is the dryer exhaust follows the joist like you see then has another 90 degree elbow that goes up and out through the roof. I'm sure it needs a good cleaning right now. Not sure if there's is better way to vent the exhaust. maybe change the 90 degree elbows to 45 degrees to the roof vent.

There is an air vent in the room which I think goes out a side wall in the attic. Maybe swapping the outlets could help.

Reach4

Reaction score
The clog-free way is to go through an outside wall, but I expect that does not match your situation.

I am not experienced running dryer vents, but I had a friend get clogs with a vent that ran up to the attic. It seems to me it would be nice if you could blow the path out with an electric leaf blower.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks