Laundry Room Head Scratcher

Users who are viewing this thread

Stellmoe

Reaction score
I recently began renovating a 1927 bungalow. The laundry room has me stumped. The washer discharges into an 1 1/2" x 32" copper standpipe. The standpipe extends 6" below the sub-floor into the crawlspace, makes a horizontal of about 7', makes a vertical of about 20" and then takes another short horizontal leg to feed directly via a reducer into a p-trap in what appears to be 4-6" cast iron (its semi-buried). There are pieces of broken cast iron laying about so its anybody's guess what the original configuration was. The vent to the roof is a short distance past this p-trap.

To compound this situation a portable dishwasher has been located 4' to the side of the standpipe. Its discharge had been adapted to a 1/2" copper line that was inserted through the hole cut about 18" up in the standpipe and sealed with epoxy. Reportedly there has never been a problem with this arrangement.

My goal is to replace the dishwasher with a utility sink and bring the existing plumbing as close to code as possible in the process.

Is that going to be possible without getting into major re-plumbing?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If by "major replumbing" you mean "do I have to replace that entire system"? If so, the answer is YES. Right now it might be "as close to code as possible" without redoing it correctly AND to code.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks