Laundry Room Design Help

Users who are viewing this thread

Joe_

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm changing up the layout of our existing laundry room (left). The current setup is 2" ABS drain with a 1.5" ABS (I believe) dry vent. When I opened up the wall I was a bit confused: is the double trap on this existing line correct?

For the new layout (right) I want to add a sink to the space. What I think I understand from reading other posts is that I need is a 2" double fixture to 1.5" vent fitting (or a reducer) to attach to the existing vent. There is < 60" between the new sink and the existing vent/drain stack (A to B).

Does this layout seem correct? Does it require additional venting of the standpipe and/or sink and if so, are there any rules or suggestions for the layout of those vents? Should I remove the existing trap (C) in this drain stack or does it belong here?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Attachments

• PXL_20211209_200629907.jpg
    PXL_20211209_200629907.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 119

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm changing up the layout of our existing laundry room (left). The current setup is 2" ABS drain with a 1.5" ABS (I believe) dry vent. When I opened up the wall I was a bit confused: is the double trap on this existing line correct?
No.

I wonder if this would be ok for a vertical wet vent, with the laundry tub feeding a santee above the standpipe santee.

UPC has some tough rules about how high above the floor the standpipe trap can be. So would there be room? I don't know.

Last edited:

Joe_

Reaction score
Thanks. One thing that I would also mention is that flipping the standpipe to the left means that I am working in very tight quarters (less than 16" worth of space between the stud and the corner) so if I can get away with not venting it directly, that would be ideal.

If I understand your suggestion it would be something like this with the two fixtures on tee's? Does this require a separate vent for the laundry sink back to the main vent?

I do think I can get the standpipe trap in the 6-18" AFF guidance and still work the sink out.

804.1B.jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
With your existing 2" drain, you can stack two san-tees, but the fixture draining into the lower san-tee has to have its trap arm separately dry vented with an upright combo, which dry vent can reconnect to the vent stack at an elevation at least 6" above the flood rim of both fixtures.

For wet venting as in the picture above, where you don't revent the trap arm going into the lower san-tee, the UPC would require a minimum 2-1/2" drain. That's because for vertical wet venting the UPC calls for the vertical wet vent to be at least one size larger than the minimum drain for the upper fixture, and one size larger that the minimum vent for the lower fixture. For a laundry tub, while a 1-1/2" trap arm is allowed, the UPC calls for a minimum 2" drain. So 2-1/2" (a rare size) is the next size up from 2", in practice it would be 3".

Cheers, Wayne

P.S. Definitely get rid of the downstream trap, no double trapping.

Reach4

Reaction score
I really want to change the design of my bathroom, but I'm not an engineer. How do you think you can change the design of a small room without being an engineer, or is it better not to try?
Are you for real? Wall appliques. Paint. New toilet seat, shower curtain.

Maybe a new toilet. Consider a bidet seat, on the old good-flushing toilet, for function and wow factor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks