Laundry room addition waste line

Users who are viewing this thread

nholt

Reaction score
Hi, I’m new to the forum and had a few questions. I’m planning a laundry room addition that will have a sink and washer / dryer. I think my waste line in the backyard is probably 6” maybe 4” diameter. I’ll measure again when I get home, I’ve already dug down to it where I plan to tie into it. My question is at what point is the waste line “resized” down to the 2” that will be in the laundry room wall? Also should I be concered about the waste line and cold water line coming into the foundation footing and then going straight up into the wall? I plan on either wrapping or using a sleeve on the pipes to protect them from the concrete. The hot water is coming through the ceiling from the house.

C22A94BD-CE83-4D55-BA16-3EFCCAEE487F.jpeg

nholt

Reaction score
I'm planning on branching off the main waste line in the yard over to the new laundry room, as shown in the diagram, probably using 4 inch pipe but once that pipe goes into the foundation and up into the wall is that the point it gets reduced down with a fitting to a two inch diameter pipe? The only plumbing going to it is the laundry room sink and washing machine. I hope my question makes since. I was concerned that a 4 inch pipe was to wide to go up into the 2x4 wall cavity. However it's probably going to be concealed under the sink cabinet so It won't be

Reach4

Reaction score
While digging, you probably want to add outside cleanouts.

nholt

Reaction score
Thank you for the responses. Yes I do plan on adding a cleanout out side the laundry room. The waste line going into the house already has one. Sorry for the crude drawings but I wanted to better illustrate my question. So when the new waste line branching off to the new laundry room (the green pipe in my drawing) goes up into the 2x4 wall frame is that the point it gets "resized" to 2 inch? And is having the waste line go into and up so close to the edge of the foundation an issue? I'm in the Houston area and we have mild winters and don't have a "frost line" to worry about. However the sewer line in the yard is buried around 2 ft.

plumbing.jpg
plumbing2.jpg

nholt

Reaction score
I just realized something. Since my hot water is coming from the hot water heater in the house utility closet over to the laundry room through the ceiling should I just go ahead and have the cold water come over to the laundry room from the utility closet in the house the same way? My current plan was to just tie into the water line in the yard that goes to the backyard water hose spigot and branch off over to the new laundry room but I’m concerned that the new waste line and cold water going to the laundry room will be to close to each other and not not pass code. I remember reading there is a minimum distance when waste and potable lines run parallel.

nholt

Reaction score
Edit to above post: After doing some googling on IPCodes I think my best bet is to have the cold water come from the house just like the hot water through the ceiling. I don’t think I have enough room in my small backyard to have the required code distances between my proposed waste line and potable water line going over to the new laundry room.

nholt

Reaction score
684160B2-C0A5-49A8-8104-D47728C5D86E.jpeg
Instead of starting a new thread I thought I’d just ask my question here regarding my laundry room project. I think my question was answered earlier but I just wanted to clarify. So the vent/waste line for my laundry room that only has a sink and washer can be 2 inches? Or should it be 3 inches? I attached a photo and circled in red what I’m referring to.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks