Laundry/Powder room DWV help

Users who are viewing this thread

Timberwolf78

Reaction score
Hi,

First of all, great forum! I have been a long time reader and just registered as I need some help.

Here is the situation. I have a new construction in Minnesota, that has gone through various delays. The plumber that was working on my rough plumbing retired and I want to finish up where he left off.
Specifically, the DWV setup for laundry, powder room and kitchen sink. As part of finishing it up, I would like to move the washer from the original intended location.

The attached images LaundryA and LaundryB show most of where everything is currently at and the proposed new washer and laundry room wall location. Below are some highlights:
1- The waste line coming down from the toilet/vanity and connecting with the washer drain is visible.
2- It gets another drain connection from the kitchen sink right after it turns south and then goes down to the basement.
3- The kitchen sink is already vented individually.
4- There is another vent line coming out of the basement that is seen in PlumbingC and highlighted in LaundryA(you can barely see it).
5- PlumbingC shows the washer drain and the vent rough in that need to be "moved" to the new washer location.
6- The new wall location for the laundry room is highlighted in orange/yellow.
So, what is the ideal setup based on the above?
where should the drain and vent pipes(PlumbingC) be cut and washer box installed?
PlumbingNew shows the ideal vent location coming out of the powder room and going up the roof.
Most importantly where/how should the 3 vents make a connection?

I hope my description makes sense..
Thanks in advance.

LaundryA.jpg
PlumbingB.jpg
PlumbingC.jpg
PlumbingNew.jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not sure I'm following the "3 vents" comment. Is that washer, powder room, and vent from downstairs? The purple line in the 4th picture is the vent from the powder room (not otherwise shown)? And the left hand pipe in the 3rd picture is the vent from downstairs? If so:

Your washer box goes wherever you want it in the new wall you're showing in yellow (at an elevation that complies with the UPC rules on standpipe length and trap height). Your "old" laundry drain is right behind that wall, so you can just cut it shorter and bring it to your washer box.

Then if it's convenient, your vent from downstairs can be rerouted into the same wall, and it and the washer vent can combine within the wall at a height at least 6" above the washer standpipe. Then the combined vent can rise into the ceiling framing and join the powder room vent before exiting. [In cold climates, the vent roof exit should be enlarged to 3" in diameter before leaving the thermal envelope of the building.]

As for combining vents, you can use most any fittings. If combining two vertical vents in a wall, with one of them turning horizontal, you can just use a san-tee. [Traditionally installed upside down from its drainage orientation, but not required.] If combining two vents running horizontal and heading towards each other, with the combined vent to go up, you can use a san-tee on its back.

Cheers, Wayne

Timberwolf78

Reaction score
Hi Wayne,
Really appreciate the response.
And you got the "3 vents" right.

How does this setup look?
The basement vent rerouted to be right next to the waste stack.
Do I need 2 san-tees for the circled out locations(disregard the 3rd circle that just needs a 90)?
Do the sizes look alright?

Attachments

• PlumbingNew1.jpg
    PlumbingNew1.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, 2 san-tees as the two leftmost circles.

The laundry standpipe, trap, and drain need to be 2", but the vent only needs to be 1.5", although 2" is fine. Any vent serving a WC has to be 2".

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks