Laundry drain p trap and vent

Users who are viewing this thread

Jbiodrowski

Reaction score
This is how our washing machine is draining.

1. Does it matter where I install the p trap on this? Is where I drew it in yellow an okay spot? This pipe connects to the sewer drain in the floor which leads to septic system.

2. Since there is a vent connected to the sewer line that is going straight up, is that vent sufficient?

3. Also, the gray tubing you can see is actually a little below where it comes out of the machine, does that need to be higher? Our washer is on a stand/drawer, so we could probably take it off the stand.

4. Is the gray tubing even installed correctly? It's just shoved in there.

The problem we are trying to solve is the sewage smell in our house. Previous owners installed this washing machine like this. We don't have any back-up issues or anything else, just the horrid sewer smell. Thank you!!!

unnamed (3).jpeg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
1) P-trap should be instead of the elbow that is directly below the vertical standpipe. Lack of a p-trap is why you have the smell.

2) No, you need a vent taken off the horizontal trap arm before that trap arm turns down.

3) Your washer manual will specify the minimum height of the top of the standpipe.

4) The washers I've dealt with lately come with a u-bracket to shape the end of the grey tube, and the manuals specify a maximum amount to be shoved in the stand pipe. But if you have right amount in the standpipe, and its secured so it doesn't pop out, it should be good.

Cheers, Wayne

yourlocalhandsyman

Reaction score
This is how our washing machine is draining.

1. Does it matter where I install the p trap on this? Is where I drew it in yellow an okay spot? This pipe connects to the sewer drain in the floor which leads to septic system.

2. Since there is a vent connected to the sewer line that is going straight up, is that vent sufficient?

3. Also, the gray tubing you can see is actually a little below where it comes out of the machine, does that need to be higher? Our washer is on a stand/drawer, so we could probably take it off the stand.

4. Is the gray tubing even installed correctly? It's just shoved in there.

The problem we are trying to solve is the sewage smell in our house. Previous owners installed this washing machine like this. We don't have any back-up issues or anything else, just the horrid sewer smell. Thank you!!!

View attachment 86942
I'm not a licensed plumber, but the way I've seen it done and that I have done (in Canada) is P trap at the end of the stand pipe, stand pipe has a set height (30-36" in Canada, and must end above the top of the sink/washing machine overflow height.). Then either use an AAV that is after the P trap 6" or so and also higher than the overflow height or connect to a dry vent that is nearby. Looking at that mess an AAV is probably easier! Also I'd tapcon a couple blocks - 1 at the p trap and 1 at the top 45, strap it down with the metal strapping.Keeps the pipe from going all flappy and knocking around. Same with that section of pex with the 2 verticals, I'd grab a pex support and just tapcon that right against the wall or tapcon a scrap of ply and nail the clip to that. I'm ocd and hate loose hoses/wires. Code for pipe supports is like every 4 ft here but ymmv.

Hell I'd tack another block and support right under the female adapter for the AAV, just so that doesn't bounce around too!

Diagram to explain:

PS - no idea about your state but in Canada those cheap ass little rubber gasket cheater vents aren't to code except in a motor home/trailer. You need a real AAV like this https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-S...20-DFU-Branch-and-8-DFU-Stack-39230/205395535

Attachments

• 20221013_180901[1].jpg
    20221013_180901[1].jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks