Laser measuring tools for installing island range hood

Users who are viewing this thread

Keith5523

Reaction score
I'm installing an island range hood over a cooktop. The ceiling above the cooktop goes directly into the attic, and if my guesstimate is correct I'll be between 2 rafters. That will make it a straight shot to vent to the outside with no elbows...I'm hoping.

I have found the center point of the cooktop using basic math, but know need to make accurate mark on the ceiling to be able to make sure the unit is centered when it's hanging from the rafters.

It is a vented model and I'm going to use stove pipe to vent it directly to the roof so it will be a straight line to the rooftop.

Is there a laser tool to help me get the "X marks the spot" so I can make the cut in the sheetrock above the cooktop?

Thanks for your help. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

Keith

Reach4

Reaction score
Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While most of the laser tools are pretty accurate, it might take some calibration. FWIW, gravity always works...for a single use, you can't beat a plumb bob. I prefer that versus a plain weight since it has a point on it versus having to guess.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks