Large burn hole in the cover to my control panel

Users who are viewing this thread

Sue

Reaction score
I have an electric water heater. I think its about 10 years old. The other day it just stopped working. We took a look and there was this great big round hole in the control box cover. And idea what caused it and what needs to be done. We have already put in a new control panel and heating elements.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Hard to say. A picture would help, especially if you can take the cover off.

Some components can generate a lot of heat when they fail, and there's a lot of power going into a water heater, so enough to burn many things.

Without seeing it, it's totally a guess, but sounds like something shorted out and before it blew, acted like a big heating element, then burned itself apart.

I'm a big fan of a whole-house surge suppressor installed at the entry panel. It's cheap insurance for those things you don't put a separate one on. IT won't help with everything, but keep in mind that spikes/surges act like an ax, damaging some electronic components one chop at a time. You don't fell a tree with one chop, nor does the typical surge/spike (although a really close lightning strike can). A whole-house surge suppressor can extend the life of everything in the house. Note, some surges can be generated within the house from a motor turning on (but mostly when turning off as the field driving it collapses). Stopping surges in the whole house can make a difference. Lots of companies make them. I sort of prefer those from Mersen, which mostly makes industrial products, so not as well known in the residential market. As a result, they don't have the big name recognition, and thus, the price for the same quality unit.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I second both replies above.
Excessive heat or faulty wiring may have caused it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks