Laminate flooring in cabin build out

Users who are viewing this thread

tpsmith82

Reaction score
So, I'm finishing out a cabin we bought over the summer. The cabin was basically a shell with roof, windows, doors and laminate flooring installed. I've been working on the bathroom and am getting leary of some things I was going to do and have done.

1. I framed out a couple of walls for the bathroom and screwed to floor? I'm finding out this might not be a good idea with floating floors.

2. I drilled out the toilet flange and installed on top of finished flooring as everything I read states to do. Again, screwed flange to floor through laminate?

3. Getting ready to install corner round shower pan. The instalation calls for mortar to be used as bedding for the pan. My thought was to put down oaty 40 mil pvc over laminate flooring, then mortar, then shower pan? Or should I cut out the laminate to the pan size, or mortar right on laminate.

4. Also, any thoughts in general about this whole laminate flooring in the bathroom.

Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
2. I drilled out the toilet flange and installed on top of finished flooring as everything I read states to do. Again, screwed flange to floor through laminate?
I think you mean you put down a floating floor. Laminate can be nailed or glued, as well as floating. If you have expansion space at all of the edges, I think you will be fine. What you would not want is to have some edge hard against a wall preventing the "floating" at the edge. I am not a pro.

I am not so sure about the shower. I would think the shower pan would be treated as a wall.

Last edited:

tpsmith82

Reaction score
I think you mean you put down a floating floor. If you have expansion space at all of the edges, I think you will be fine. What you would not want is to have some edge hard against a wall preventing the "floating" at the edge. I am not a pro.

I am not so sure about the shower. I would think the shower pan would be treated as a wall.

So its a log cabin and the laminater flooring stops about 1" before it actually gets to the exterior log. So there should be plenty of expansion room at the edges.

Are you saying it should be no big deal as well that I screwed the bathroom framing walls to the floating floor as well?

I should mention when doing all of this screwing, it goes through the laminate and into/ through the subfloor, which looks to be about 1" OSB

As always thank you for you reply Reach4!!!

Reach4

Reaction score
Are you saying it should be no big deal as well that I screwed the bathroom framing walls to the floating floor as well?
No. I would think that would be not good. Think floating. The thing that connects to the walls is the trim that hides the gap, and lets the flooring expand and contract the gap with temperature.

I would likely be thinking of LVT (vinyl) rather than wood, for a bathroom. Or ceramic/porcelain. They have those that looks like wood. Again. Don't presume I know more about flooring than I do. Do research.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks