Lake Source Submersible Pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Brassspike

Reaction score
I have read several threads on this but none quite like my situation. I currently have a water source heat pump operating from a 25-30 foot deep lake. It is using a centrifugal 3/4 hp pump at about 20 feet lift, 1.25 pipe, pretty much all it can do. Same pump has been supplying the previous heat pump since 1993! I have a new heat pump that is demanding more water and the current system can't keep up.
I'm thinking of going to a submersible pump horizontally, on a stand. It's easier to pump water up than lift it. Heat pump needs 15-20 gpm. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Pumps can push more water than they can draw. A 3/4HP submersible will pump much more than a 3/4 jet pump. You will need a 15 or 16 GPM in 3/4HP to do it. You don't want any larger pump than necessary as pumping costs are important on a heat pump.

Reach4

Reaction score
Put a flow inducer sleeve and a debris catching cage (I am sure there is a proper term for that) over the pump.

What pressure and GPM are needed? In pumps, for a given horsepower, some give more pressure, and others give more GPM at a lower pressure. It could be that a 1/2 HP will do what you need if it is the right pump.

Also, consider a 3-wire pump with a CSR control box for more power efficiency. The "R" stands for a run capacitor being included.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks