Lack of Good Info. Water Level

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
Hello All,

For my upcoming deck project, and for future projects, I would like to use a water level. I have googled this and not found real good info. Does anyone have experience using a water level? I read leejosephos post, and wanted to ask him or anyone else if they have heard of using a bucket of water for the one end of the level?
Any theory or ideas on this method would be appreciated. I have read that a water level, when used correctly, is quicker and more accurate than a transit level.

TIA,
Molo

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
I have used one on occasion...
For a quick, short level, you can buy clear plastic hose in the hardware store and just fill it with water when using it...
Simple, easy and inexpensive....

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
molo said:
... using a bucket of water for the one end of the level?

I have not heard of that, and I cannot imagine how a bucket might come into play.

molo said:
I have read that a water level, when used correctly, is quicker and more accurate than a transit level.

All of that would be relative to a number of things. A well-set -- Have you ever used one? -- quality transit would be my own preference for setting grade stakes before pouring a footing, floor or a driveway. Where my water level requires telling the second person to move the tube up or down until my own fixed point has been reached, a transit requires only a glance to read the elevation on the second person's stick. Then, there are laser levels/transits that put out a ring of light so one could even work alone making marks or setting stakes. For your 8x10 deck, I would probably level out the foundation forms or tubes with a straight 2x4 and a conventional level.

In any case, here is a snapshot of my shorter water level, and I would say its viscosity and friction issues render it slightly less accurate than the type of transit with which I am familiar.

Attachments

• waterlevel.jpg
    waterlevel.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 198

Pewterpower

Reaction score
The guys who built my pool used a water level. I thought it was pretty good. They set the forms using it, and then applied the tiles using it. It must be pretty darn accurate cuz the water line in my pool cuts across a perfectly level grout line all the way around the circumference of the pool.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks