Korky 528 on Toto Drake 1.6 gallon starts and stops abruptly several times when filling tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I have 2 Toto Drake 1.6 gallon 2 piece toilets, and 1 that's 1.28 gallons, and all three have Korky 528 fill valves, though the 1.28 gallon toilet is so new that its fill valve is still a "Toto" 528 fill valve.

Two of the toilets (one a 1.6 gallon, the other the 1.28 gallon) flush perfectly normally. But the other 1.6 gallon, it starts flushing, and the Korky 528 fill valve fills the tank with water for 3 seconds, then the fill valve pauses for 1 second, then fills for 3 seconds, then pauses for 1 second, etc etc until the toilet is fully filled. I haven't encountered this issue before, and couldn't find anything when googling, so I thought I'd ask here if anyone has dealt with this kind of issue before, and how to resolve it.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I think that if you remove the top cap, you will find that water is leaking around the inner R528 cap seal, which is probably torn. (I assume this is one of your older valves.) Water then flows into the float chamber and tricks the thing into thinking that the tank is full. I have seen that before.

The Korky valve is super easy to service. Turn off the water. Detach fill hose from valve. Pop the top cap. Remove the float. Twist off the little R528 Cap that has all the sealing guts in it. While you're there, pull out the internal fill tube and remove the white strainer from its bottom and rinse that if it has crud in it. Replace the R528 cap with a new one that costs about $3. Put the float, the top cap and the hose back in place. Turn on the water and it should be fixed.

You can always try taking it apart and rinsing everything then reassembling with the old cap just to see if that fixes it, but I have to say a new cap solves a lot of ills. And it's like $3 and takes no more than 3 minutes to replace.

Korky video below (relevant info starts at :53 in; I skipped the part about turning off the water at the wall: always turn off the water at the wall before messing with the valve, duh):

This assumes that the problem is with the valve and not with your water supply line. To test that, you can (after turning off the water) unscrew it from the Korky valve and point it into a bucket and turn on the water to see if you have a nice flow through the water supply hose.

korky-528-cap-terrylove-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

GP_7676

Reaction score
Just want to thank you for posting these instructions. My toilet had been doing this for over a year and causing my pipes to rattle whenever it was flushed. The new cap seems to have solved it and no more rattling pipes. Should have Googled this a year ago!

korky-r528-cap-terrylove-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks