Kohler valve trim doesn't cover hole completely

Users who are viewing this thread

Caprieragtop

Reaction score
First of all, Merry Christmas to you fine, helpful folks.

I have a Kohler 3/4" Rite-Temp shower valve. All is well, except my tile guy didn't run the tile close enough to plastic plaster guard, so when I installed my Stillness trim, there's a sizeable gap at the top of the valve trim. It's about 1/4 - 3/8" gap, which seems a bit big to caulk.

How would you recommend I go about fixing this? Does anyone know if Kohler makes a polished chrome escutcheon plate that could go behind the valve trim?

Thanks!

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I would make the tile guy come back and fix his mistake. Most escutcheons I've seen are big and ugly as they are designed to cover over old work two handle retrofits.

Years ago I needed a custom escutcheon and made one out of the bottom of a stainless steel bowl but it was not polished chrome.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Maybe you could make one from a round chrome mirror. Just make sure that any cut edge is well painted so it doesn't rust.

drag_specialties3_round_chrome_mirror_for_harley.jpg

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Did you give your tile man the plate specs before he started tiling? If yes, did you pay him in full?
A fix is to remove the wrongly cut tiles and replace them with new tiles cut right.

Caprieragtop

Reaction score
He's been paid in full. I didn't have the plate specs at the time, as I didn't know which trim I was gonna go with.

I'll take another look at it today. Maybe the smartest thing is to put some filler material in there and caulk.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If your trim ring has the right diameter, Delta makes a couple of "backing plates" that would fit behind it. One is a decorative elongated oval and the other is a "blunt four sided cross".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks