Kohler toilets, Class 5 or Ingenium

Users who are viewing this thread

azsun1411

Reaction score
Anyone have any comments on Kohler's flushing systems, namely: 1) "Class 5" flushing sytems, and the (2) "Ingenium" flushing system. Wife likes one of their toilets. Are these flushing systems ok?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can't comment specifically, but in general Kohler quality is not what is used to be when they built the brand name. Some of their products apparently work just fine, but not all. Majority of the plumber on this board who install toilets prefer Toto. Unfortunately, times change and some companies who were top of the line have not kept up and there are new kids on the block.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
kohler_wellworth_2000.jpg

Another Kohler headed for the dump.

Ingenium is their buzzword for a toilet ( like the Wellworth) which uses both rim jets and a siphon jet action. The Wellworths are very widely sold, and perfomance is OK; they do not rate well on the Map test.

The cat 5 flush is the extra large flush valve, copy of Toto and A/S champion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Abikerboy

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi
I have a kohler cimerron (sp?) and a Toto (dont know the name of it, but its a 1-piece low profile tank), and I am satisfied with both. My only complaint with the kohler is it doesnt rinse well, but is no big deal for me, as I am a clean freak, and keep brushes and bleach in both baths. My only complaints (2 complaints really) with the toto is that a week after it was put in, I had to call back for a leak repair which flooded my floor (was told by the installer that he made a mistake assembling it...no charge for repair), and second is that none of the hardware stores seem to keep parts for it. If I had to choose between the two, I would have to flip a coin to decide. I have not been able to clog either of the 2, and my ex gf's children have not been able to clog either one (and they believe in using the tp!). Both look nice, and both seem to be built very well. I like the fill valve in the toto, which is fast and quiet, and have been told that it can be retro'd into an older toilet at my moms house, so am planning to do that for her soon. I dont know nothing about a map test, but I do know real world results, and I feel I made a great choice in both. For tech issues, there is a member here by the name of VaPlumber who installed both for me. Contact him, and he can tell you which toto I have.
Rob

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
inside_tank_cst744s.jpg

Toto uses Korky innards which are available almost everywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maddog

Engineer
Reaction score
I recently installed the Kohler Cimarron, as well as an A/S Champion - both elongated and 'comfort height'. Both flush real well - haven't had to plunge or double flush yet. The Champion has a more violent flush, which is noisier, but probably flushes a bit better than the Cimarron. I like the 10 year warantee on the Champion, but I don't really like the overly-complicated flush tower.

The Kohler Cimarron has a bracket on the bottom of the tank, that mounts the tank to the bowl without bolt holes in the bottom of tank, which could prevent leaks down the road. I like that, as well as the flapper design instead of the flush tower. It was easier to install than the Champion. The Kohler only has a 1 year warantee, but I really don't mind changing (and paying for) a new flapper every few years. Not much else to go wrong - but I haven't seen the over-sized Cimarron flapper in HD or Lowes. May need to buy a replacement flapper over the internet after the warantee runs out.

Note - these toilets only get flushed maybe 5 times a day so I can't really say how they will hold up in a high-use setting. As far as a residential setting - I will probably be putting a Cimarron in the 3rd bathroom, when we get to it.

Hope this helps .....

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Ingenium will plug more than others, and the Cimarron which plugs less, misses the bowl wash at the back of the bowl.
I don't know who carries the new 3.25" flapper for the Kohler yet.
You may have to call Kohler direct for parts on the Cimarron.

Updated 2/3/2021
Parts are available now and for quite some time. Performance of the new products has been good.

adair-k3946-terrylove-01.jpg

Last edited:

Abikerboy

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Terry said:
I don't know who carries the new 3.25" flapper for the Kohler yet.
You may have to call Kohler direct for parts on the Cimarron.

I bought extra flapper for the kohler online, and had the plumber order an extra for the toto. Not really a big deal for me. When I use my spare, I'll order another and put back. The fill valves seem to be standard on both.
Rob

Sincraft

Reaction score
My kohler toilet (other than a seating problem possibly also) is already not shutting off. The float on the 'rod?' when it comes up from the water, is sticking on the way up so it doesn't shut the water off. It's going to need replaced and it's only 6 months old. I never touched it so I know it's not an ID 10 T error.

Oh well ...just before I was going to buy another toilet for our new bathroom project. I'm going with toto. Hopefully their white will come close to my sterline tubs white color.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks