Kohler Steam Generator installation to reduce noise

Users who are viewing this thread

schmeckp

Reaction score
I recently purchased a house that had a master bath remodel just 6 months back. On the surface, it looks like a quality job, but we started having some issues with the steam generator, which led me to find issues beneath the surface. I've corrected some of those issues (steam generator was installed without unions, so couldn't be removed. Solder at steamhead failed and steam was leaking in the wall. Steam generator thermal fuse went bad.), but the steam generator is installed beneath a bench in the shower, which has a vented access panel directly into the bathroom. It's on a metal drain pan, which is directly on mortar. When running, the generator is quite noisy, with consistent solenoid clicking and clunking.

I found the installation manual (K-5531-NA, 11kw generator), and Kohler says it should be installed in a vented space, with 12 in clearance on all sides. Where it's currently situated, it only has 6" above, and about 6" on one end and one side. Unfortunately, without a lot of major rework, it appears I'm stuck using this location for the generator.

Wondering if there's a way to insulate the space for noise, while still allowing for ventilation. When you're in the steam shower, there's minimal noise, but outside, the clicking of the solenoids reverberates off the tile and cabinets, waking my wife most mornings in the next room.

Appreciate any advice or tips others have done to cut down on how loud a generator is.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks