Kohler sink mixer help

Users who are viewing this thread

PlumbSolve

Reaction score
20170810_210237 (1).jpg

PlumbSolve

Reaction score
Sorry I am trying to fit this mixer but dont know the size of these flexi connectors. Nothing in our plumbing shops works on these flexi connectors. Does any one recognize or at least tell me what this size fitting is called. If I mic it the size of the fitting in the female is 13mm.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is that thread about 0.524 inches or 13.3 mm inside of that connector?

Do you see a gasket inside that would meet with what it is screwed onto?

If so, that would be a "3/8 inch compression fitting". Typically that would be screwed to a stop valve, and those valves are available with a variety of inputs.

PlumbSolve

Reaction score
Yes it is about 13mm. It actually shows some angle valves in the booklet and says 3/8 but in S Africa we dont use this fitting. I will have to make a fitting for it . I am assuming being an imperial fitting and having a thread pitch similer to 1mm it may be a 26 thread per inch.But I cant actually find the name of this thread. 3/8 what? bsp,npt unf,unc bsw etc. Our normal flexi connectors are 1/2 inch bsp .

This mixer was brought in from the states by an american who now lives here. We only recently have introduced Kohler to S Africa and the kohler rep put the lady onto me. So it looks like the kohler for S Africa has been changed to suit our fittings.
A 14 mm by 1mm pitch will work on this but that is also not obtainable but I can make it.
I from curiosity sake want to know the right name for this fitting .Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know the size or thread pitch, but I am pretty sure it is a straight thread--not tapered. The sealing comes from the rubber seal. I measure 14.13mm on the male part that your connector would screw onto.

The valves etc that that mate with that connector you have often come with a nut and ferrule (olive) that lets you connect a 3/8 OD tube. That is why they call that a compression thread. For connecting what you have, you would discard the nut and ferrule.

https://www.mid-city.com/index.jsp?path=product&part=9460&ds=dept&process=search&qdx=0&ID=,PVF,Fittings,Compression,dept-1OB says 9/16 and 24 TPI (threads per inch). That would be a 1.05833 mm pitch.

Last edited:

PlumbSolve

Reaction score
I understand what you are saying .We have a similer fitting that you remove the nut and compression ring and insert the flexi to the male part. But this is a 16mm fitting,also called a 3/8.We have nothing compatible to this 14,03mm od fitting at all.Quite strange.
I will machine a 14mm by 1mm pitch on a 15mm piece of brass and use that in a 1/2inch ball ostop. It will work.
Thank you for your help.I appreciate it.

PlumbSolve

Reaction score
Your sizing is spot on. Its called a unified extra fine thread or unef. I didnt bother doing it at 24tpi. I just used your 14.3mm outside diameter and cut the thread at 1mm until the flexi connector fitted nicely.I thought I had seen all types of plumbing fittings.You learn something new everyday.

Kohler has just reached our shores but they use a 1/2 inch fitting on the flexi connectors .

Is Kohler a well known product in the states and what is your opinion on its quality/ They had problems getting them to meet our strict standards,at least in my town.The brass has to be dzn and it has to carry the south african borough of standards certificate.

The building inspector will insist you replace any non complying mixer before he gives you a clearance and occupancy certificate.
I dont know kohler but the mere mass and superb finish on it tell me its a quality product.
In the rest of South Africa alot of chinese stuff gets dumped here . Some of its puta ,not even brass and the fittings snap off in a couple of years.
I will post a pic of what I did later.

Reach4

Reaction score
Very good quality, but there is a lot of variety. You more often have to get parts from Kohler rather than a local place. Maybe they will be providing a smaller variety that they stock parts locally for.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks