Kohler Single Handle Shower Faucet - I'm stumped on how to access the valve

Users who are viewing this thread

SarahB

Reaction score
My shower head keeps dripping and after watching a few YouTube videos it looks like I should replace the valve. However, I popped the button off the handle, removed the handle and now I'm stumped. There's some plastic piece there that the handle fits too, but I can't figure out how to remove it. Do I need to take the bezel off the wall first? I was hoping not to do that as it seems the bezel is nicely adhered to the tile with a significant amount of caulk. Removed the two screws from the bezel and that thing isn't going to budge without some elbow grease.

Thanks!

IMG_0909.JPG

XTN

Reaction score
Can you post an image with that ring removed? Most likely it holds the plastic piece over the cartridge and the trim holds that down. But, that would be poor design.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is a Kohler Coralais faucet. Probably pressure balanced model K-15102. The "white thing" is a stem extension and it is held in place by the trim ring. The actual mechanism is underneath held by 4 bolts into the valve body. You have to remove the trim ring. In many cases the leak is caused by the pressure balancing unit leaking between its two halve where they are riveted together. If so, there will often be white "stain" where the leak is.

index.php

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks