Kohler Shower Drain; No Compression Nut?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Arcsound

Reaction score
I am installing a Kohler 9132-CP shower drain in a Kohler shower basin, and noticed that there is no inner compression nut used to squeeze the rubber gasket around the PVC pipe, like other manufacturer's use. Kohler's gasket just gets pushed down, between the drain housing and the PVC drain pipe, but has no compression force applied. How does Kohler get away with not using a compression nut on this gasket, like most other's are using? Is this a bad design? Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
NOTE: To complete the drain installation, a gasket/connector (supplied) or traditional caulking may be used. If traditional caulking will be used, proceed to the ″Traditional Caulking″ section.

Using soap solution, lubricate the gasket/connector. With the raised letters on the gasket/connector facing upward, place the gasket/connector over the drain pipe.

NOTE: If necessary, use a hammer and caulking tool to push the gasket/connector into the strainer body. If a caulking tool is not available, use a narrow piece of wood.

Push the gasket/connector down into the strainer body until the top of the drain pipe is even with the top of the gasket/connector. Proceed to the ″Installation Checkout″ section.

I've split some wood down to use as a tool to push the seal down before.
Terry Love

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks