Kohler Santa Rosa ?? and other toilet choice musings!

Users who are viewing this thread

music4cities

Reaction score
I have already posted a more specific question regarding the Aquia and received a fantastic response. But I realize now I have some more general questions I could use some help with.

Need three toilets for a family of four. Two boys. Myself (6'-1") and wife (5'-2"). Because of her height, my wife hates the universal height toilets -- which she declares are anything but(t). (Sorry could not help that pun)

It's been a bit of a saga.

At first, I selected an ultramax II. Based in part on this site. Then My supplier has suggested the Kohler Santa Rosa as a less expensive but equivalent performing alternative to the ultramax II. And it is quite a bit cheaper: 300 for the Santa Rosa; 450 for the ultramax II. I'm curious what you all make of that?

Then I realized, after having my wife test drive a few models, thaa universal height toilet is not ideal for us. ( is 5-

Don't know if the Santa Rosa comes in the lower height.

Know from this site and toto specs that I'd need a Plain old ultramax for normal height and that it's not the same as the II in other ways.

My ideal does not exist I think: a skirted one or two piece Ultramax II (such as: Carlyle II or Vespin II) with its flush system, elongated bowl, at regular height, with sanigloss.

I have two boys and like the idea of skirted for cleaning. And one piece for same reason. In addition I like a sleek modern look. I'm an architect. I apologize in advance.

After looking carefully at the way the recent toto two pieces are designed I think that cleaning difference between their one and two prices is likely not much, because on the two pieces the tank usually stands on top of a slightly raised part of the bowl. That is such a great design move as of course it keeps the joint away from most of "splash" and is less likely to get pulled into the seam by capillary action. Toto is impressive.

As a result, and as I asked in another thread, the Aquia II seems the closest fit: no sanigloss or vortex but there is one two piece model with a reasonable (not too tall) bowl height, it's skirted and looks great! And the price is reasonable.

Whether the Aquia withstands two boys I am not sure...I have heard dual flushes are not as good flushing, and the small waterspot concerns me. Seems like sanigloss would be great to have with such a small water spot! But the only sanigloss Aquia models appear to be "universal" height. Or am I worrying about nothing? Know Terry's customers tend to live the Aquia.

My kids often use too much tp. However often we try to tell them not too. Though after visiting a friends house that has one they both would love a washlet! So maybe that is a good solution. But maybe it makes the seat too high on the Aquia?

No one seems to have any Vespin I or Carlyle I etc. Left. Or Carolina I for that matter. I can get an ultimate or supreme at normal height. Or a drake. But I don't like the looks of the drake I and of course it is neither skirted nor 1 piece.

So for toto it seems like I am down to the Aquia , Ultimate, or Supreme. Any model I am missing? Pros cons for these?

Reach4

Reaction score
You are getting three toilets. I suggest that you not get identical toilets. You can get a shorter one for you wife's primary use.

If you are willing to bend and not have the enclosed trapway, consider https://terrylove.com/pdf/ms864114e.pdf If the toilet is not viewed from the side much, there is not much difference.

Eco Supreme seat (as well as lid) is lower than most. Comes in 1.6 GPF also.

Consider a cheap unheated unpowered bidet attachment for the boys. Saves TP. You can always upgrade later if warranted.

img_2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks