Kohler P-trap CP-9033 installation

Users who are viewing this thread

EFS

Reaction score
Hello,

I have Kohler P-trap model: 9033-CP
Kohler CP 9066.jpg
That needs to be installed and the installer told me it cannot be installed with the flange that is supplied as the flange is too shallow.

k-9033.jpg

What he left me with is:
kohler_P-trap.jpgKohler_P-trap_01.jpg
I contacted Kohler and got nowhere as they send me a link to installation instructions:
http://www.us.kohler.com/webassets/kpna/catalog/pdf/en/1108185_2.pdf
Which are, frankly, not that helpful.

What needs to be done, so this trap can be installed with the flange it came with; I want that look and not the bulky semi-round flange that is typically installed on regular chrome P-traps.

My guess is that he needs to open the wall and install whatever he glued in front of the wall behind the wall plane rather- am I missing something?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
From the picture, it looks like he has a "spigot" trap adapter right into a tee which is flush with the wall. if so, there is no way to make it "shallower".

EFS

Reaction score
From the picture, it looks like he has a "spigot" trap adapter right into a tee which is flush with the wall. if so, there is no way to make it "shallower".

can this "spigot" trap adapter be recessed into the wall?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Without knowing what's in the wall, there's no way to tell if it could be moved back easily. It would also require tearing up the wall. If that chromed piece is just decorative trim, you could grind off the nubs on the tubular fitting (Desanko) to make it slightly smaller in diameter (it would make it harder to tighten the fitting up to make the seal with the trap arm, though), but it may still have a gap between the end of the trim and the wall. Keep in mind, to make the seal, that nut on the Desanko must be accessible so it can be tightened down. As Ron indicated, that's a bottle trap, not a P-trap, and in some places, they are not allowed. They are much more prone to getting clogged up with hair and other crud than a p-trap. And, because of the way they are constructed, you cannot run a snake through them to help clean them out.

EFS

Reaction score
Without knowing what's in the wall, there's no way to tell if it could be moved back easily. It would also require tearing up the wall. If that chromed piece is just decorative trim, you could grind off the nubs on the tubular fitting (Desanko) to make it slightly smaller in diameter (it would make it harder to tighten the fitting up to make the seal with the trap arm, though), but it may still have a gap between the end of the trim and the wall. Keep in mind, to make the seal, that nut on the Desanko must be accessible so it can be tightened down. As Ron indicated, that's a bottle trap, not a P-trap, and in some places, they are not allowed. They are much more prone to getting clogged up with hair and other crud than a p-trap. And, because of the way they are constructed, you cannot run a snake through them to help clean them out.

I am CT- anybody who knows whether they are allowed in CT?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote;can this "spigot" trap adapter be recessed into the wall?

Not if the face of the fitting is flush with the wall, which is what it appears to be.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks