Kohler Maxton sink drain leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Wayne W.

Reaction score
Good evening,

We just purchased a new sink from Lowes, and a Kohler Maxton faucet. The faucet hook-up is done and fine, I am having an issue with the 1274364 drain assembly leaking. If I close the drain, and fill the basin with water, there are no leaks. However, when I open the drain and the water drains out, I get a fair amount of leakage. I have followed the installation instructions, and installed the tailpiece/drain assembly through the thin gasket, through the hole in the bottom of the basin, inserted the thicker tapered gasket (slimmer side up, to fit between the tailpiece and the basin) and then hand tightened the nut (even really snugged, but still no tools) it seems that the water spills out what would be the overflow holes, if the sink had it, and leaks out from between the tapered gasket and the basin. What else could I be missing?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I often use pipe dope on the threads about where the passes through the rubber washer on the bottom of the lav. I find that water likes to follow the threads past the rubber seal.

Wayne W.

Reaction score
I often use pipe dope on the threads about where the passes through the rubber washer on the bottom of the lav. I find that water likes to follow the threads past the rubber seal.
IMG_20200322_083644.jpg

Wayne W.

Reaction score
Good morning, after a cup of coffee and the brilliant idea to flip the sink over and actually inspect what is going on...

So I'm not sure if the nick in the bottom of the sink is causing the issue? But the rubber piece fully sits on the non-threaded section of the tailpiece. This is a brand new sink and according to the label, bubbles and spots on the back are not a defect... So is it a bad sink? Or do I need something (special washer?) different to fill in that hole?

Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks