Kohler K3402 toilet leaking - 3rd time

Users who are viewing this thread

Dpreno

Reaction score
Hi there! We bought this house last year and I'm trying to quickly get more comfortable with plumbing in general - but I'm definitely not there yet.

Today is the third time the toilet has had a leak from the place where the supply line connects to the ballcock assembly. There's a plumber down the street who's helped us out a couple times with it in the past, and I'm trying to figure out if there's anything more we should be doing. All three leaks have been in the past 2-3 months.

The first time it leaked, he replaced the supply line and valve (it was not possible to close the valve, the installation was very tight and the knob couldn't be turned off - had to turn off the house's main water that time).
The second time, he replaced the ball cock assembly, which I believe includes the ballcock washer. Seems like a logical move.

Now today I've discovered a leak again - seems to be from the same area as before. It's a slower leak this time, but the flooring under the toilet is definitely wet (observable from the basement). I've turned off the valve to the toilet & held down the flush to empty the tank, hoping this will buy us some time. I've taken a photo showing a water droplet that slowly formed (and fell onto the floor), seems to be coming from the area where the supply line meets the ballcock assembly.

Is there anything else I can do to make this fix permanent? Should I be considering replacing the toilet?
It's a relatively tight space in the bathroom that seems to have been made to fit exactly that toilet, I fear it might be expensive to replace without re-doing the whole bathroom.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

toilet.jpg
PXL_20220725_161854927.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There is a very nice Dahl valve shutoff there. I do see water from the supply to the fill valve. It's either leaking between the tank and fill valve, or at the supply line to fill valve location. Either way, I don't see the need for a new toilet. You almost have it there on the repair.
Make sure the plastic nut for the fill valve is snug. Not so tight it's ruined, snug is good.
The flexible supply line has a rubber cone on the end that makes the seal to the bottom of the fill valve. That fits on without tape and goes on hand tight.

Dpreno

Reaction score
There is a very nice Dahl valve shutoff there. I do see water from the supply to the fill valve. It's either leaking between the tank and fill valve, or at the supply line to fill valve location. Either way, I don't see the need for a new toilet. You almost have it there on the repair.
Make sure the plastic nut for the fill valve is snug. Not so tight it's ruined, snug is good.
The flexible supply line has a rubber cone on the end that makes the seal to the bottom of the fill valve. That fits on without tape and goes on hand tight.
Wow thanks for the quick reply!

We'll start with trying to tighten/secure those valves. If nothing else, I'm seeing online that some people end up using this replacement kit from Kohler that basically updates/solves everything at once - expensive though:

kohler-84499-1b1x-pic.jpg

All Fug Duck

Reaction score
The supply seal may be slipping up into the ballcock and mot spreading out correctly, like maybe too tight when installed. are you sure the tank doesn't have a small crack?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks