Kohler K-3554 - No water from rim holes?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Joe97, Sep 15, 2018 at 1:41 PM.

1. Joe97

Joe97 New Member

My Kohler K-3554 pressure assisted rear discharge toilet has virtually no water coming out of the rim jets. The siphon jet is still powerful as normal. I've cleaned out all the rim holes, went through the Fluidmaster diagnostics including checking the water flow to the toilet and that the screen was clear. I also replaced the cartridge and the duck bill valve though both were fine.

Is there anything else I should be doing to find the source of the lack of water from the holes in the rim?

May thanks,
    Joe

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    All of the water from the Flushmate goes down the same hole in the bowl, and then distributes with a channel for the siphon jet, and the secondary one for the higher rim hole outlets. How old is this bowl? Sometimes the rinsing can be helped by using a wire, like a coat hanger wire and punching them clear.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Joe97

Joe97 New Member

I used a coat hanger on the rim holes closest to the tank. I could only get the hanger wire in about three inches because of its stiffness and this did not result in more water coming from the rim jets. Is there anything else I can try before taking the tank off the base? (The toilet is around 10 years old.)

Thanks,
    Joe

5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    FWIW, did water ever come out of those rim holes?

DOes the flapper valve in that toilet typically come with an attached float? SOme plumbers have indicated that those can break off and get flushed into the toilet, that will partially block it up and could affect the rim holes or the siphon jet or both.

6. Joe97

Joe97 New Member

The amount of water coming out of the rim remains a trickle. I'm going to pick-up some flexible wire which I hope will go further into the rim. Thanks for the suggestion regarding the float but this toilet doesn't have one.

7. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

In a non-pressure-assist, if you didn't want to take the tank off the bowl, I would have suggested pouring a bunch of CLR into the overflow riser and allowing it to distribute around the channel above the rim holes. But with a pressure assist and its totally-different bowl design (and lack of an overflow riser), I think you're going to need to pull the tank to accomplish anything. If you can't clear the rim holes from inside the bowl with a thin awl or other pointy round thing and/or the holes seem clear but no water is coming through, then you have to pull the tank. I would look for an obstruction of the small channel that feeds water to the rim holes; maybe it is clogged with accumulated gunk or calcium. Sorry you went through the trouble of getting a new cartridge, etc. I wouldn't ever have thought that to be the problem.

Using a flexible wire to go into the holes and maybe around the channel above them is a decent idea, though. Worth a try. If not, I would try to "snake" the channels with wire or similar after pulling the tank off.